HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.

If a debtor owes for traffic tickets are they dischargeable

If a debtor owes for traffic tickets are they dischargeable in a chapter 7 BK?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.

HCLegal :

11 U.S.C. § 523(a)(7) provides that “a discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228(a), or

1328(b) of this title does not discharge an individual from any debt – to the extent such debt is

for a fine, penalty, or forfeiture payable to and for the benefit of a governmental unit, and is not

compensation for actual pecuniary loss, other than a tax penalty.” Accordingly, in a Chapter 7

bankruptcy case, the answer is straight forward – the traffic tickets are non-dischargeable.

HCLegal :

So, no traffic tickets are not dischargable in a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.