cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

will the spend thrift provision in a trust be protected when filing chapter 7. Trust was

will the spend thrift provision in a trust be protected when filing chapter 7. Trust was created in Fl. The only asset in the trust is a Massachusetts Home that is in a living trust and when the person of the living trust sells or pass away the person filing chapter 7 will be intitled to 25% stake in the home. Would this be protected?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Yes - the Bankruptcy court does honor spendthrift clauses in trusts. If the Bankruptcy filer is the beneficiary of a trust that has a spendthrift provision, that trust will be exempt (protected) from the Bankrutpcy court.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would happen if I was in the middle filing Chapt 7 and the asset is sold or the person in the living trust passes and the cash is in my account?

Once the asset is sold, then the Bankrutpcy court can take the money that the asset is sold for. The asset loses its protection once it is sold.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At what point in the Chapt 7 filing would the bankrutpcy court not take it? Once I file?

The person with the living trust would have to die, and the property would have to be sold before the Bankruptcy is filed. Once a Bankrutpcy is filed, it will be too late for the Bankruptcy court to take any money that the asset is sold for. In other words, the Bankrutpcy court would not be able to take the money if the debtor received it after their Bankruptcy was filed. Bankruptcy Stat. 541.