WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

If I have a account that has been sold to a collection agency,

If I have a account that has been sold to a collection agency, do i put the origonal creditor on the mailing matrix or do I put the collection agency on there? Should I put both just to be safe?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 4 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification. 

WALLSTREETESQ :

It is best to list both accounts on your schedule, you do not want to take any chances with missing a creditor.

WALLSTREETESQ :

You can put the most recent debt with the collections company, and the original creditor, and list the amount due as unknown, if you do not want to add the debt again.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks :-)

WALLSTREETESQ :

You would put the full debt amount, as per your recent credit report on the collection creditors listing. The account numbers are important, with the creditors address.

Customer:

The account number on my credit report are patially x'd out. Is tha okt o put the partial account or do I need to callt he creditor and find out the whole account#?

WALLSTREETESQ :

No, you should have the full account number, you should look at a recent bill or call the creditor to obtain the full account number.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks so much for your help