HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

If I ask my Bankruptcy Attorney to authorize the Top Three

If I ask my Bankruptcy Attorney to authorize the Top Three Bank/Lender to speak to me directly, will I be disarming myself (i.e., perhaps disclosing too much information to the lender that possibly could be used against me in the final negotiations)? Would it be best to wait until the bankruptcy case is closed, then I can speak directly to the lender without obtaining the requested authorization from my bankruptcy attorney? Can I switch to another attorney to negotiate on my behalf instead of using the bankruptcy attorney who has little experience in real estate litigation? What are your thoughts in this regard? Thank you.

HCLegal :

Hello again and thank you for requesting me to answer your questions.

HCLegal :

Q: will I be disarming myself (i.e., perhaps disclosing too much information to the lender that possibly could be used against me in the final negotiations)?

HCLegal :

A: I do not think it will hurt you. It is common for people in your situation to do what you are doing.

HCLegal :

Q: Would it be best to wait until the bankruptcy case is closed, then I can speak directly to the lender without obtaining the requested authorization from my bankruptcy attorney?

HCLegal :

A: That is an option but I do not think that it would really matter. If you wait then you cannot sign the reaffirmation agreement. If you do not sign a reaffirmation agreement then it will not be reported on your credit report, which makes it harder to rebuild your credit.

HCLegal :

Q: Can I switch to another attorney to negotiate on my behalf instead of using the bankruptcy attorney who has little experience in real estate litigation?

HCLegal :

A: Yes you can and people do that often when dealing with mortgage companies.

HCLegal :

Q: What are your thoughts in this regard?

HCLegal :

A: It does not matter if you do it before or after your bankruptcy is over. Even if you start it now, it probably won't be done before your bankruptcy is completed. I would start now just so that you get the process started, the longer you wait the less time you are going to have before they finally foreclose on the house.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.