cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I already received a discharge. The last day to file a claim

I already received a discharge. The last day to file a claim is coming up. The trustee is administering about $1600. Why did the lender file a motion to have the stay lifted if they can't get a judgement?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : This is a chapter 7 correct? If so the reason is they want to make sure they are clear to repossess the car and sell it without violating the bankruptcy stay. It is really a duplicative action though because if you already received your discharge then there is no longer a stay in place. But some lenders want to be very cautious as violating the bankruptcy stay could be very costly for them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate your concise, yet thorough answers!
And I appreciate your acceptance of the answers, if you every need more assistance please feel free to request me.