cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

If I own 100% of an C-Corp and have personally guaranteed the

If I own 100% of an C-Corp and have personally guaranteed the debts of the corp, can I go Chapter 11 for the corp and not take personal bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 2 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Is this bank your only creditor or your main creditor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only Corp Creditor. Have personal debt and have been paying Corp bills with personal funds

Then filing a Chapter 11 for your corporation will probably not help you, as a majority of your creditors must approve your re-organization plan. If this bank is your only corporate creditor, that bank must approve your re-organization plan. If the bank will not work with you now, there is no reason to expect that they will work with you if you file a corporate Bankruptcy - as they do not have to work with you because you file a Bankruptcy.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not trying to get out of paying my debt, I just do not have the same cash flow as in the past and need to reduce my payments. I tried to move the loan but can not.

If I can not make the payments, what are my options?

Does your corporation own significant assets that can be sold?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We own no assets. we are a professional services company and have no accounts receivable, inventory. We get paid a commission or consultnat fee when we complete our work. Auto, computers etc are all personally owned and have very little value.

Then if the debt is not paid, there is nothing the bank can do to the corporation.

If you file a personal Bankruptcy, then there will also be nothing they can do to you personally. If the bank will not work with you, filing a personal Bankruptcy would be the only way to protect yourself.

Perhaps if you explain this to the bank, they will be more likely to work with you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your quick responses!
You're welcome! And thank you for accepting my answer!