How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cortrightlaw Your Own Question
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 513
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cortrightlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Starting on or about April 15, 2011 I was hospitalized on

Resolved Question:

Starting on or about April 15, 2011 I was hospitalized on a few ocassions and could not or forgot to file my state and federal income taxes.

In October 2011 I was in a serious car accident that totaled my car. I sustained some injuries that took a couple of months to heal. Before I felt strong enough to inquire about my car, I was told by the towing company my car had already been taken to a junk yard. All my 2011 tax statements were in the car and I lost them too. I was told by the towing company the car was long gone and I did not owe any fees. Much later I received mail from a collection agency that I owed the towing company $1300, but that is another issue.

I applied for an extension with the IRS but was denied because I applied too late. I did not know what to do and became overwhelmed by all the debt that has been building up for a few months. When it came time to file my 2012 taxes I just could not figure it out by myself and I could no longer afford a tax service.

Since I hope to file for bankruptcy, should I contact the IRS myself, should a bankruptcy lawyer contact the IRS, should I get letters from the hospitals and doctors for the IRS?

I'm overwhelmed that the IRS won't understand or care about what a difficult time I have been having.

Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : Give me a minute to respond to your question
cortrightlaw :

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is you first need to get your taxes filed, you need to find someone who can help you get all past years filed. You will not be able to file bankruptcy without getting your returns filed as the information on those returns is needed to complete your bankruptcy petition, in addition the bankruptcy trustee will want to see a copy of your tax returns. Also bankruptcy will eliminate your unsecured debt but it will not eliminate your recent past due taxes if you do owe anything.

cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.

cortrightlaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you