cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

my husband purchased a pick-up, only in his name. I made one

my husband purchased a pick-up, only in his name. I made one payment, when it was due, then shortly thereafter, my husband passed away. Since I am on social security, I am 66, I did a voluntary repossession, since my name is XXXXX XXXXX the paperwork. Now, 2 months later, I received a bill, I owe $11.000. The total bill was $22.000, they sold it, I guess for $9.600. Do I owe the difference? Thank you so much
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : If you did not sign on the loan agreement then you should not be liable for the debt that your husband signed for. Send the lender a letter stating that the debt was something in the name of your husband who has passed away and include a copy of the death certificate and see if that gets them to I away. Also see if you can find a copy of the original loan docs to make sure that you are not listed on the loan and check to make sure it is not showing on your credit report. After takin these steps if you are still having an issue you should contact a local bankruptcy attorney to see what other options can be explored.

thank you so very much, I appreciate this Christine