HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

Since the owners are liable for owed IRS taxes on the business,

Since the owners are liable for owed IRS taxes on the business, how will it be handled if the business is owned by an offshore entity.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 2 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello again... The IRS could go after the offshore company and its assets.

HCLegal :

Also, there has to be someone here in the US that has represented the company in some form or fashion.

HCLegal :

Often times the IRS will go after them as well even if they are not owners.

HCLegal :

I have seen cases where the IRS has gone after the treasurer of the company.

HCLegal :

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

Customer:

Thanks for the answer. How can the individual affiliated with the entity, say the CEO or CFO, be protected in this case?

HCLegal :

Its hard to say without know what kind of taxes are owed and if there was any fraud involved.

Customer:

Sure, the IRS taxes would be considered income, due to inter-company transactions (A/P-A/R booking). For example, company A owes company B $100,000, and company does not company B. A & B are subsidiary companies.

HCLegal :

If there was no fraud involved then you are probably not going to be held liable (assuming you are not an owner of the company).

Customer:

Well, unfortunately, I am a minority shareholder.

HCLegal :

Sorry to hear that, please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this matter as I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Customer:

Sure, thanks.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.

HCLegal, Attorney
Experience: I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.