HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.

Hello, I wanted to seek legal advice regarding owed taxes to

Hello, I wanted to seek legal advice regarding owed taxes to the IRS if the business, a California corporation, files for Chapter 7 or 11. Will the owners be liable for owed taxes on the business entity?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.

HCLegal :

Yes, the owners of a corporation are personally liable for any IRS debts incurred by the business.

HCLegal :

When a corporation files for bankruptcy it does not get a discharge. The discharge is the court order saying you do not owe the money any more. Therefore, when a corporation files bankruptcy the debt does not go away and you would still be personally liable for it, in this case with the IRS.

HCLegal :

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

HCLegal :

Or if you need clarification on my answer.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.