HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

Have a Small Claims Court Issue. Company that a friend is

Customer Question

Have a Small Claims Court Issue. Company that a friend is trying to sue, just filed for bankruptcy. They say she owes them money from a contract she signed. She was going for skin treatment and signed for x amount of sessions. Before completing all her sessions she was injured during one of the sessions, but did not go to a doctor. The company wants to collect on the remaining money for the contract signed, but she was hurt before all the sessions were completed. She just received a letter in the mail concerning the company's bankruptcy. How will the company's bankruptcy affect her case?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.

HCLegal : Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.
HCLegal : If the company your friend sued has filed for bankruptcy they are protected by the automatic stay.
HCLegal : This will prevent your friends lawsuit from proceeding.
HCLegal : Did the corporation file bankruptcy or did the owners file personally?
HCLegal : Corporations do not get discharges in chapter 7 bankruptcy cases.
HCLegal :

I am happy to answer more questions for you regarding this matter, but I need a little more information from you.

HCLegal :

can you give me more details as to the bankruptcy please.

HCLegal :