cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

I am a medical professional who typically makes good money

I am a medical professional who typically makes good money and has great credit reports. However since Fall 2009 I have been very ill and not able to work with my debt steadily increasing. I am still recovering from my illnesses and may never be able to work full-time as I was used to. I am awaiting a disability judgement in the next few weeks by DDS. My concern is that I may need to file for bankruptcy as I would not be able to pay my debts in full and even over time as I am rarely able to work do to my health. I need to be able to maintain somewhat of a household for my family.

I have recently been sued by my credit card company and have just begun looking for a low-fee, pro-bono bankruptcy attorney. With my above information what would be your professional opinion? Should I file for bankruptcy? - as it feels this may be my only option at this time and circumstance.

Thank you in advance!
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : The situation you have described sounds like the exact reason someone who should considered filing bankruptcy. It is not something to be ashamed about it is a legal process that is meant to help people like yourself who have fallen on hard times. Especially now that you have a pending judgment you need to reall goert with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss your options.

Ok. Thank you. I appreciate your candor. Are disability payments off-limits for garnishment?

cortrightlaw : Yes if it is social security disability.