Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

My mother in law is being sued for the deficiency of a foreclosure

Customer Question

My mother in law is being sued for the deficiency of a foreclosure sale that was done in June 2009. she lives in california, but the forecluse was done in maryland, she is the owner of a house in california and she is being sued in california. what are her choices for her? can she filed a bankcrupticy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Does she have any equity in the house in CA?

.

Thanks.

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, she has equity and she only owes 80,000. what else can she do. her court date is in may 25, 2012
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Last questions:
1) How many are in your mother-in-law" household?
2) What is your mother-in-law's gross household income? Is any of this money from social security?
3) How much equity does her CA house have? (Equity = market value minus the balance on the mortgage.)
4) Has she lived in CA continuously for the past 2 years? If not, where has she lived for the past 2 1/2 years?