socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

How can I find what information of mine the IRS based a "proof

How can I find what information of mine the IRS based a "proof of claim" on that allowed them to get paid $2500, from our bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Any information would be attached to the proof of claim as filed in the bankruptcy court docket. You can access all of your case file documents by obtaining a (free) subscription to the PACER federal court electronic filing system.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I checked out this site and was registering, but then it wanted credit card info and there was an explanation of fees. "The per-page charge applies to the number of pages that results from any search, regardless of the number of pages viewed, printed, or downloaded. Searches that result in no matches incur a charge for one page of data."

Couldn't find where it would be free. Did I misunderstand something?

Or did "free" only apply to regestering?

Registration is free. There are no charges, unless you actually conduct a search. Last time I checked, a search costs $0.08. Most people who are searching for a limited and specific purpose, don't rack up more than a couple of dollars in charges.

Considering the cost of having to travel to the bankruptcy court and physically review the case file as an alternative, in my view, PACER is effectively free.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer. And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, registration done. States this file NOT limited to the 30 page/$3 charge. So could you tell me where best to look to find the IRS "proof of claim?" It gives the following query options:

Alias
Associated Cases
Case Summary
Creditor
Deadline/Schedule
Docket Report ...
Filers
History/Documents
Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing
Party
Related Transactions
Status
Trustee
View Document
Claims Register
Creditor Mailing Matrix

Please click Accept for my Answer to your original Question, and I will be happy to consider your new Question here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd be happy to accept an answer that gets me the info I need. I could explore on my own, but thought you might have an educated guess.
Claims Register.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can bankruptcy lawyer expenses be claimed on income tax??
For a Chapter 11, yes (assuming business bankruptcy); for Chapter 13, yes, but only to the extent that the debtor is a sole proprietor or general partner in a business, and the legal fees are identified to the business; for Chapter 7, no.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer. And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's chapter 13, but individual.
Not deductible, in my opinion. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Attorney