Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a private student loan about 171/2 years old. I was

I have a private student loan about 171/2 years old. I was unable to make payments on it for last year.(unemployed) It was sent to Pioneer for collection, which is owned by SallieMae. Is ther anything I can do to get this discharged or try to settle the debt?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

You can try to settle the debt with the lender and work out some type of payment plan that you can afford. However, there is virtually no way to have the debt discharged in bankruptcy or otherwise.

The only way to discharge student loans is if you can prove a financial hardship. This is very hard to prove, but if you can show that your financial situation is dire and you can't afford basic living expenses if you're required to pay, and if you can show that you can't work and that's not going to change in the future (due to health issues), it is possible to discharge all or part of your student loans. Here's a good article you should read:

If you can't qualify for a discharge of the student loans in bankruptcy, the only way to get rid of them is to pay them off. Hopefully you can get the lender to negotiate with you and settle this dent without being sued and having a judgment entered against you.