HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.
64148031

This is a question involving a Chapter 7 case that was filed

This is a question involving a Chapter 7 case that was filed in December of 2011. The case involves a married couple. The debtor just died and the joint debtor (widow) wants to dismiss the case. The 341 hearing has not yet occurred. 2 questions: Can the widow just dismiss her case? Also, does a suggestion of death have to be filed if the case is going to be dismissed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 5 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question again here on Just Answer.

HCLegal :

I am sorry to hear about the death...

HCLegal :

You cannot voluntarily dismiss a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

I am surprised the 341 has not occurred yet as it normally only takes about 30 days for the 341 to be scheduled.

HCLegal :

If the debtor does not appear at the 341 then the trustee will file a motion to dismiss for not attending.

HCLegal :

Otherwise you would have to convert to a chapter 13, then you could voluntarily dismiss the bankruptcy.

HCLegal :

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

HCLegal :

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 341 got continued because of the Debtor's illness...He submitted interrogatories...
Expert:  HCLegal replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure what happened to our Chat.

But please let me know if you have any questions regarding my answer and I will do my best to explain or clarify.

thank you,

HCLegal