dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

When filing bankruptcy in PA, do they do a look back of your

When filing bankruptcy in PA, do they do a look back of your assets? If so how far back do they look. Also, if only one spouse files for bankruptcy and not the other, how does that affect the primary residence? The primary residence has a mortgage and a HELOC against it. Generally how long does a bankruptcy take from start to finish>
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 33 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

When you file a Bankruptcy, you must list all of your assets that you own at the time of fling. In addition, one of the questions that you must answer is whether you have transferred, sold, or given away any assets. This question is asked by the trustee at the hearing. And you must disclose transfers up to two years earlier. As to whether your spouse files, he or she does not have to file with you. but your spouse's income must be listed. Likewise, it sounds like your home has little or no equity. Therefore,you can keep your home as long as you can continue making the payments. Finally ,a BK takes about four months from the date you file to when you receive the discharge of your debts.

I wish you well. Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.