TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

RA gd

Customer Question

Is there a legal aid office that I can file bankruptcy through? I have a minimum wage job and only work part-time so I can't afford the attorney's at law offices.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I would be very surprised if there were a Legal Aid office that would prepare your bankruptcy for you. Bankruptcies are a lot of work, and they are quite specialized areas of law. As such, I've never heard of that service being offered from legal aid. You may want to check with your local bar association, however, as they may know of attorneys who offer that service at reduced rates or even for free. Bear in mind that even if you find an attorney willing to help you for free, you'll still need to pay your own fees, which will amount to roughly $400 when it's all added up. The fees are for filing the petition and taking the financial management and credit classes that are required.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!