HCLegal, Attorney
Experience:  I have filed over a thousand bankruptcy cases.

I received a proposed settlement offer from a law frim for

I received a proposed settlement offer from a law frim for an outstanding debt. Do I need to pay them
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.

Its up to you if you want to pay them. If you don't, then they could sue you for the unpaid debt.

If its a good offer (less than 50% of the balance) and you owe the money and you have the money to pay it, then you should.

If you disagree that you owe the money or the amount claimed then you may want to dispute the debt instead of paying.

One way to tell if they might sue you is if they law firm you are dealing with is in the same state you are. If you are dealing with an out of state law firm then they probably won't be able to sue you because they don't have anyone licensed to practice law in your state. Now, they could send it to another law firm in your state for them to file a lawsuit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. By pressing the ACCEPT you will not be charged any more money. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Also if you could take a minute and leave feedback that is also greatly appreciated. If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.