cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

If a debtor is appearing pro se and lives a significant distance

If a debtor is appearing pro se and lives a significant distance from the bankruptcy court, is it acceptable to mail the petition and schedules in to the court for processing as opposed to walking them in?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : Please give me a minute to review your question and provide an answer
cortrightlaw : Most of the bankruptcy courts will allow you to mail in your petition, I would recommend that you call the clerk first just to verify that your district bankrptcy court allows you to mail it before you mail it. There is an advantage to walking it in, if you are missing anything are have a slight error you can usually correct it while you are at the court.