cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

In you opinion, based on the above information regarding my

In you opinion, based on the above information regarding my ex-husband's assets vs. debts, what are my chances of getting what is owed to me (approximately $14K) and having his debt to me NOT BE DISCHARGED?

Mela
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 2 years ago.

cfortunato :

Hi JACustomer,

Customer:

Good Morning

Customer:

Do you need additional information?

cfortunato :

I have to look over the above again, and will get back to you shortly.

cfortunato :

You said your ex-husband filed his Bankruptcy shortly after becoming employed fulltime.

cfortunato :

Does this mean his income increased substantially shortly before the Bankruptcy was filed?

Customer:

No, he has always had a job. Although I do not know if he is still employed which may have prompted the filing of Chapter 7.

cfortunato :

If all the information on his Bankruptcy petition is correct, I don't see any chance to avoid having that debt discharged.

cfortunato :

That is, there is no way to avoid having your ex-husband

cfortunato :

your ex-husband's liability for that debt discharged.

cfortunato :

Bankruptcy has the capacity to be very unfair.

cfortunato :

Now, the only way for you to avoid liability for that debt is for you to also file a Bankruptcy.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX afraid of that. My next question is: What happens to the Abstract Judgment that I had filed in December 2011 prior to his filing for Chapter &? I was told it stands for 10 years. Can you clarify?

Customer:

Oops I mean Chapter 7.

cfortunato :

Is there any additional information you need?

Customer:

I believe the above is all at this point. Thanks

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

Customer:

Did you see my last question regarding the Abstract Judgment?

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Was it one of the 2 questions above the information you found when downloading the case?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My question is:

What happens to the Abstract Judgment that was approved and filed in his county of residence (Dec. 2011)? Doesn't this put a lien on his properties?

I

If the abstract of judgment placed a lien on his property, then the lien will remain unless your ex-husband also filed a 522(f) lien avoidance motion with the Bankruptcy court.

Did you see papers for a 522(f) lien avoidance motion in the Bankruptcy papers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only received the Bankruptcy notices. I had downloaed the docket information. I will do a search on the case to see if a 522(f) was filed.
Okay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I located this verbage from document filed:

Form B8 - Chapter 7 Individual Debtor's Statement of Intention regarding Property 1 (his personal residence)

Property will be: Retained

If retaining proporty: I intent to: XXXXX XXXXX will retain & continue to make contractual payments (for example avoid lien using 11 U.S.C. 522(f)

Property is: Claimed as Exempt

Does this mean the lien will not be effective?
No - that document does not address a lien. The contractual payments referred to are mortgage payments.
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.