How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i will have a default judgement in Florida and I reside in Georgia.

Customer Question

i will have a default judgement in Florida and I reside in Georgia. I have been accused if civil theft and converson. I am unable to defend myself against these charges because I live in Georgia. First can I fight these charges (civil) if it is brought to Georgia for domestication and 2nd can I file for bankrupcy on them if they obtain a georgia judgement?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 4 years ago.


I am a legal expert and noticed that your question has been pending for a while now. We value your feedback and truly want your experience here to be highly satisfactory. Please feel free to reply to this post and let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you.


Thanks for choosing JustAnswer®!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i didnt receive an answer
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,


Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.


I see that our moderators have been alerted -- please contact us if no reply: Help.


Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!


[Please do not reply to this post as doing so will delay handling of your inquiry.]

Expert:  davidhken replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Were you served with the suit while you lived in Florida or have you always been in GA?

Please explain why the suit was filed in FL and the basis for the jurisdiction in that state?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have never lived or visited Florida, a bank account was opened in Florida and my brothers and I was listed on the account. After a family dispute I withdrew the money out of the account on the internet from my home in GA. I have fought jurisdiction with Florida but they are saying because the account was a Florida account they have jurisdiction. The reason the suit was filed in Florida instead of Florida is because the one filing the lawsuit had a warrent out for his arrest in GA and feared being arrested. A default judgement is near and I assume it will be sent to GA for domestication.
Expert:  davidhken replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - You have three choices. You can contest the jurisdiction of the FL court now by making a limited appearance in the case and filing a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction and improper venue since the suit should have been filed in GA. Second you can wait until there is a default and object to the jurisdiction when or if it is filed in GA and third, you can file a bankruptcy and wipe out this and any other debt you may have. If the person in FL is afraid to come to GA to file the suit I can't imagine why they would not be afraid to come to GA to collect it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has sued me for civil thef (Florida Law) and converson. Are these dischargable in bankrupcy?
Expert:  davidhken replied 4 years ago.
I will have to refer you to a bankruptcy expert for any specific questions on bankruptcy. I will opt out and ask that your question be transferred to the bankruptcy section.
Expert:  ANDREA replied 4 years ago.


Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am an Attorney and would be glad to help

A civil judgment entered against you in Florida and domesticated in Georgia would be dischargeable in Bankruptcy. However, it must be a valid judgment, meaning that you were properly served in the Florida case and the Florida Court had jurisdiction over you. If this did not happen, then the Florida judgment would not be valid. If you went ahead and filed a Petition in Bankruptcy, and you were later sued in Georgia, you would not be able to file for Bankruptcy again for another 5-7 years, in which case, the judgment would remain against you in Georgia and be enforcible by the Plaintiff in Georgia and he could have any assets you owned seized in order to satisfy that judgment,


Please be kind enough to press "Accept" so that I receive credit for assisting you


Positive Feedback and Bonus are always appreciated




Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to clarify: I have a judgement for civil theft and conversion. I can bankrupt on this type of judgement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

Yes - as long as there was no fraud (a deliberate attempt to mislead) involved, a judgment for civil theft and conversion can be discharged in a Bankruptcy.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.
  • Paul K, Esq.'s Avatar

    Paul K, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.