cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

Suppose I owe someone money and that person files Chapter 7

Suppose I owe someone money and that person files Chapter 7 bankruptcy and doesn't list my debt as an asset.

Can I argue that because they filed to disclose this asset to the bankruptcy court they have no right to collect the debt from me anymore?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : It is a stretch but there I some case law that supports your theory, the debt you owed the other party should have been disclosed to the bankruptcy trustee to determine if he wanted to collect on the debt for the other creditors. Of course to pursue this you would most likely end up in a civil lawsuit.