WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I live in Massachusetts and am declaring bankruptcy. I need

I live in Massachusetts and am declaring bankruptcy. I need to the following information:
1. Can the bankruptcy court grab my social security disability monthly payments?
2. Does the court check bank accounts for withdrawals/activity?
3. What is the highest amount of settlement from a concurring divorce that one can have without it being garnished by the court?
4. Can the court garnish alimony payments?

Thanks so much!
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 5 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

1. Social security disability is protected in full from the bankruptcy court trustee and creditros

WALLSTREETESQ :

creditors

WALLSTREETESQ :

2. The trustee may ask for the last 6 months to a year of deposits and withdrawals, in order to see if their is fraud or hidden assets

WALLSTREETESQ :

3. Alimony payments and divorce settlements, can be an issue,

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under Chapter 7 bankruptcy law, a property settlement can be taken from an individual and used to pay off creditors during bankruptcy if the settlement is decreed within 180 days after the bankruptcy was filed. During this time period, any assets that come into the individual's possession can be grandfathered into the bankruptcy, whether they come from inheritances, property settlements, or other sources.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, looking forward to it.

7:04 PM

creditors

7:05 PM

7:07 PM

7:08 PM

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much - that's very helpful! I don't know if you can this one but is it better in Massachusetts to file for bankruptcy and then wait until it is through to file for divorce? Is that the best way to keep funds from being taken?
It is better to file a bankruptcy, and delay the eventual divorce settlement,
by doing this you can avoid any property settlement from being taken.