WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

RE: Problem with Sallie Mae student loans related to a bankruptcy?Hell

RE: Problem with Sallie Mae student loans related to a bankruptcy?

I had to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy due to a bad divorce and lost everything I had. Prior to that I had never missed a payment nor been late. During the bankruptcy, I deferred my Sallie Mae student loans and intended on deferring them until after the 5 years of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy payments. I contacted Sallie Mae a year after the initial deferment in order to continue the deferment. At that time they told me they had sold my loans to another company and filed a claim on them. They gave me the phone number to the new company (USAF) and told me they couldn't help me with my loans anymore. I called USAF and they couldn't find me in their system. The girl on the phone told me it was probably due to the fact that my bankruptcy was so new and to call back after some time had passed. I did that and now when they answer the phone for USAF, they answer as Sallie Mae again (I am guessing the companies combined?). After waiting on hold for a long time and speaking to someone who doesn't understand English very well, they transferred me to their bankruptcy department which immediately sent me to voice mail. I left a detailed message stating that I needed to defer my loans again, or make payments of $300 a month (which is more than I can really afford) and to please email me back because I do not have access to a phone during my day of teaching. They called and left me a message (despite my request for email) and told me to call them back. I called them back, waiting again on hold and getting voice mail. I reiterated my need for email and left that message again. No one called all week. I called emailed Sallie Mae's other department who gave me an email to the bankruptcy department. I emailed them and have not heard back in two more weeks now. My questions are: What do I do? Send in $300, or send in a registered letter stating everything I have told you? Forget about it? I am worried, no one knows what's going on. Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Blue
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 4 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati ON

WALLSTREETESQ :

In cases such as this, it is best to send them a payment with a letter, stating that you wish to defer the payments, due to the chapter 13 matter,

WALLSTREETESQ :

It is true Sallie Mae and USAF, do work together, and either should have the proper paper work for you to apply for the deferment,

WALLSTREETESQ :

Another option is to include USAF as part of a creditor in your bankruptcy

WALLSTREETESQ :

so they receive notice of your chapter 13 case

Customer:

What does it mean when they say they have filed a claim against the loans?