cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I am debating bankruptcy but have a few questions. I am concerned

Customer Question

I am debating bankruptcy but have a few questions. I am concerned that after I file, I will not be able to get a job as a cashier or waiter due to this being on my report. I know that companies like CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walmart, etc do credit checks now in addition to drug and criminal background checks. I have read online that you should just tell in the interview that the bankruptcy was due to medical bills if that was the case, as it is mine. However, many companies now require you to submit applications online and dont give you that option. So, truthfully, how will potential employers look at a bankruptcy, specially if it is new? To an employer, what looks better: Having a bankruptcy or finding a way to settle your debt for less that what was owed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : Give me a minute to review your question
cortrightlaw : Bankruptcy is the best option and it would be illegal for an employer to discriminate against you for filing bankruptcy, filing bankruptcy is legal way to discharge your debt. And very few employers verify credit reports. It has been my experience that it has to usually be a licensed position, even then often times the employees are told to file bankruptcy do their debts can be eliminated and then they can get or maintain their license.
Customer :

Well I know both CVS and Target do as I applied online and had to electronically agree to a credit check. With that being said, and since this is for a cashier job, do you think this would be bad? Why would these companies do a credit check if they were not looking for a red flag?

cortrightlaw :

They are more concerned that you have allot of unpaid debt, someone with debt problems is more likely to steal then someone who has filed bankruptcy and is not facing a huge mountain of unpaid debt. I do a lot of bankruptcies for the local casino employees, they are actually licensed by the gaming commission, if they have a lot of debt the can not get or maintain their license, but if they just file bankruptcy then they can get or keep their license.

cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.

Customer :

One type of debt that is not cleared in bankruptcy is student loans of which I have several thousand dollars worth. I would assume that most companies do not look down on this as almost every single college grad has major student loans yes? So they will not see this in the same light as unpaid debt?

cortrightlaw : That is correct as long as you are paying on it.
cortrightlaw :

cortrightlaw :

Did you need any further clarification on this question?