cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

My car was a total loss in June 2011. I still owe Santander

My car was a total loss in June 2011. I still owe Santander Consumer USA $6,000 after insurances paid. I cannot afford to pay this bill. I have made two written requests in the last 6 months asking if they will accept a cash settlement of $1200. To date, no one has contacted me to discuss. I receive numerous collection phone calls and today I received a default notice that they "may sue me to obtain a judgement for the amount of debt or may take possession of the vehicle." What can I do? I clearly have no wiggle room in my budget to pay this bill. I already work 2 jobs to support myself.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : You can consider bankruptcy as it will eliminate the deficiency, also if you have any other credit issues you can eliminate that debt also.
cortrightlaw : Once they get a judgment they can attach your wages or empty out your bank account do you need to deal with it before that happens.
cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.