cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

Can I file bankruptcy without losing my car or house. I live

Customer Question

Can I file bankruptcy without losing my car or house. I live in Maryland and currently have have prior bills that i cant catch up with. I dont want to do this , however I feel there is no other way. I am gainfully employed, but am trying to avoid wage garnishments and so on. What should I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : Yes you can almost always keep your car, the bankruptcy code provides exemptions that protect assets, additionally if there is no equity in a vehicle because of a loan against it that can also protect it.
cortrightlaw : What is the value of your car and if you have a loan how much do you owe?
JACUSTOMER-5xunogkp- :

I owe it outright. I have a condo that Im currently behind on for condo fees.They have taken me to court in the past and any money that I have paid outside that amount has gone to what was claimed in the judgement. For that reason I am now being informed that thay are currently showing me late and putting intend tofile an addition judgement. for that reason and a few others I feel it neccessary that I file bankruptcy. Can you pls tell me what I should expect and what actions to take.

JACUSTOMER-5xunogkp- :

Hello...anyone there?

cortrightlaw :

The value of your vehicle is crucial to be able to let you know if you can retain it or not, additionally are you trying to keep the condo or surrender it? And it sounds like you have allot going on regarding this issue so a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney would be a good idea so your complete financial situation can be evaluated.

cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.