cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

Should I file for bankruptcy?

Customer Question

Should I file for bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.

cortrightlaw : I need a little more detail on why you are considering bankruptcy.
Customer : I have around $5000 in medical debt from my pituitary tumor $2500 between 2 credit cards and I have $12500 for a car I I make $9 an hour flat rate detailing cars basically the more I clean the more money I make but I don't have enough work to make payments on everything
cortrightlaw : Are you considering giving up the car?
Customer : Sorry I hit the wrong button and lost everything I typed... I have about $24000 in debt between credit cards cr payment and medicle bills I make $9 an hour I was doing good and could afford the payments until I got all the med bills now I am worried and stressing out cause I can't afford to pay everything plus my cars engine just locked up and needs replaced which cost $4500
Customer : Sorry...
cortrightlaw : That's okay it sounds like chapter 7 bankruptcy would be a good option it would eliminate all of you credit card and medical debt. It would even get rid of the car debt but you would have to surrender the car if you no longer want to pay on it and keep it.
Customer : Yes I am willing to give up the car the motor in it went bad and not to mention its a performance style of vehicle but the bank does not take that into consideration and basically says the car itsnt worth what I owe so I am upside down already.
Customer : sorry I dk what happens I am on my phone
cortrightlaw : Yes then it sounds like chapter 7 is a good option for you it will take care of the car and your other debts. You can either hire an attorney or do it yourself if you do not have enough money. If you decide to do it yourself has a good book on how to do a chapter 7 for around $30.
cortrightlaw : If I ha e answered your questiOns please press the accept button do I can receive credit for my response. And if you need further information on this question post it here and I will gladly respond.
Customer : Ok...I feel bad about doing it since I am only 23 and I will need another vehicle but something that's a little cheaper but how soon would I be able to start rebuilding my credit?
cortrightlaw : You will get you discharge in 6 months and you can immediately and it will take 2-3 years to rebuild your credit.
cortrightlaw :

Have I satisfactorily answered your question? If I have please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion), i will gladly clarify my response or respond to follow up questions if needed.