cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
63110502

I filed a ch 13 a year ago, confirmed in July 11. There were

I filed a ch 13 a year ago, confirmed in July 11. There were no claims filed by any of the creditors (although it's 80k in debt), and my attorney even had to file on the mortgage co's behalf, as the mortgage was going to be continued (trustee making the payments to catch it up). The mortgage is a month or so away from being completely current, and I noticed the case status is now "pending close (z)". Is it possible to close out a chapter 13 in such a short period of time? I was told by my attorney that although the plan is for 55 months, it could be completed in 19, which was never clearly explained. As well, it's only been 12 months. Haven't found anywhere on the net that says anything about a ch 13 for less than 3 yrs.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 2 years ago.

cortrightlaw : The trustee can only pay on the claims that are submitted by the creditors, so if none of your creditors filed claims and the only claim hat was submitted was the one your attorney submitted for the mortgage then tha is the only cla that needs to be paid. All the creditors who failed to file claims will be discharged by he bankruptcy. BotXXXXX XXXXXne while highly unusual you got a nice break.
cortrightlaw : If my answer has been responsive please click on accept answer so I can ge credit for my response. And if you have a follow up question I would be glad to respond.
Customer:

I forgot to mention the atty fee which was obviously filed, and next payment pays that off, as well as the mortgage completely up to date. Typically, how long past the "paid up" stage does the discharge take? We are eager to put this behind us, but I know things take time.

Customer:

BTW - Great answer. The response I was hoping for. I'll "accept" now that I've had a chance to respond.

cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience: Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.