WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My tenats filed bankruptcy,chapter 7 no asset. I was listed

My tenats filed bankruptcy,chapter 7 no asset. I was listed as a crditor for only 5700.00
They were recently discharged. All of the debt they owe me was not listed in the bankruptcy proceedings. They still owe me for some months on the rental.
Also, they owe over 2ooo.oo for the water and sewer which remained in my name and the company has now placed a lien in my name.
My tenats also lied about the property shed which they stole,saying it broke and they threw it away, but they left the house loaded with furniture,garbage etc... My neighbor saw them drive the shed away. The shed has a value of approximately 2000.00

My questions :Can I take them back to court for the additional months of rent ?
Can I sue them to recover the 2ooo.oo water bill?
Can I sue them for the shed that came with the property?
What are my recourses right now?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 2 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

You would be able to sue for any loss that was incurred after the filing of the bankruptcy,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and is the entire amount owed was not discharged in the bankruptcy, you can try to enforce the amount for the rest,

WALLSTREETESQ :

However, you are better off, suing the tenant for all the extra items, that incurred afterwards,

Customer:

will the judge allow me to request payment for the utilities that are in my name,even though they incurred the expense?

WALLSTREETESQ :

You should sue them for all the damage that they left and was not listed in the bankruptcy

WALLSTREETESQ :

If it was part of your lease with them,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You have to show they owed the amount to you,

Customer:

if i am granted a judgement how can i collect ? garnishment of wages ?

Customer:

Also can I have access to thier refund from IRS? is there a way to offset it?

WALLSTREETESQ :

You would have to enforce the judgment through a sheriff, or marshall, and it is possible for you to garnish their wages, freeze their bank accounts etc.

Customer:

do I have a certain amount of time to take them back to court ? They were just discharged.

Customer:

what proof can i bring to court regarding the stolen shed?

WALLSTREETESQ :

After discharge, you can start the lawsuit, but it may be best to file after 90 days, so they do not try to reopen their bankruptcy case, and try to add your new debt to their case,

Customer:

great

WALLSTREETESQ :

In terms of the shed, if you have a lease or any evidence that they stole it, you can sue them,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If they were the only individuals that had access to the shed, you can make a good argument

Customer:

Just a neighbor who witnessed the removal of the shed on the back of the truck

WALLSTREETESQ :

that could work,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You should sue them ,and see if they fight you, if they do not you would receive a default judgment

Customer:

i will bring a statement from the neighbor regarding the removal of the shed for the judge

Customer:

Thanks for all your help

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied please press the accept button so we can receive credit

Customer:

ok thanks for now

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS