cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

We live in NJ. My wife is being sued by one of her creditors

We live in NJ. My wife is being sued by one of her creditors and we got the summon from the court. We are considering bankruptcy but we want to expore other options to pay / sattele these accounts.

Will we be able to file for bankruptcy evern after the court starts it proceedings for this law suit? We have to answer the court by 01/12.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cortrightlaw replied 4 years ago.
Give me a minute to review your question do I can answer it.
You can file bankruptcy even after the proceedings start at the court, or even after a judgment is entered. As soon as you file the bankruptcy the civil case will be stopped by the automatic stay. The only concern you should consider is once it he civil case proceeds to a judgment they can secure that judgment onto your property if you own any. At that point it becomes more difficult to deal with it.

If you have found my answer useful please press the accept button so I can get credit off my answer. And if you need more clarification I will gladly provide it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. She does not have a property in her name. The huose we live in is rented. I do have a rental property in another state but it is currently has no equity. None of her loan belongs to me, in other words, I was not on any of these credit cards.

Kindly let me know.

They would only be able to attach it to her property and if there is no equity then it is not a big concern, botXXXXX XXXXXne is though best to file bankruptcy sooner then later to avoid all the worries.