How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask FiveStarLaw Your Own Question

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36606
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
FiveStarLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NY was divorced in 9/11 and my ex filed for bankruptcy

Customer Question

I live in NY was divorced in 9/11 and my ex filed for bankruptcy in 12/11. He makes 135K a year and I make 75K.
We have a mortgage with a balance of 600K and the house is valued at about 500K. It has been for sale for a year now with no offers. The mortgage has not been paid since 1/11 but it has not reached foreclosure yet and I am living in it.
I have about 25K in credit card debt. A car lease that ends in 3/12 and 80K in student loans.
Once the house forecloses, how much will I (I assume its not we) have to owe? Are we talking a couple of thousands or hundred of thousands? What happens if I cant pay that amount? Does it get wiped away or am I forced to file bankruptcy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.

WebLaw :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

WebLaw :

Thank you for your new question.So sorry to hear of this dilemma.

If my answer is not clear to you or does not completely answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

WebLaw :

You will not necessarily be forced to file bankruptcy

The lender can file suit against you to collect the deficiency on the mortgage. You can file suit against your former spouse for reimbursement.

Here is why.

The divorce decree states the rights between the spouses as to which spouse will make the payments on the joint debt. However it does not affect the right of the creditor to collect from either spouse.

Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code excepts from discharge both property settlements and support obligations in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However money to be paid as part of Marital Property Settlement Agreement would be dischargeable in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Money in the form of spousal support is considered a Domestic Support Obligation and thus it is not dischargeable in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

You can read the Code here:

WebLaw :
Customer :

Our divorce agreement states he is responsible for 2/3 of the house and me 1/3. There also is a line in there stating that bankruptcy will not affect any of our agreements, but my lawer said that wont hold in court.

Customer :

So even though he is cleared from the house in his bankrupcty, I can still get that money from him? I guess I dont understand how he can be responsible for thsi if he is cleared from it

Customer :

He does not owe me any spousal support although he was suppose to take 16K of my credit card debt adn give me part of his stocks, but my lawyer states I cant get that now bc he claimes bankruptcy.

WebLaw :

I suggest that you meet with a bankruptcy attorney locally as the information that your divorce attorney has given you is not correct.You can read the Code here:

WebLaw :

Here is a link to a free legal referral site that may assist you in locating competent local counsel:

WebLaw :
WebLaw :

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions