dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

My bank account in Pennsylvania was levied by a creditor on

My bank account in Pennsylvania was levied by a creditor on 11/28/11. I have a court date on 1/24/11 to challenge the levy. However, I've since chosen to file for bankruptcy and expect to file prior to the court date. My question is...I was told by one attorney that in Pennsylvania, I only have 20 days from date of the levy to file for bankruptcy in order to recover the funds in the levied bank account. But I was told by another attorney that I should be able to recover those funds as long as the bankruptcy is filed before the court date. Which is the correct answer for Pennsylvania? I will be filing for bankruptcy in Illinois. I'm not sure if that changes anything.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Over 33 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
What you were told by the first attorney is correct as after 20 days since the levy, you cannot claim those funds exempt on your bankruptcy petition. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.