CML Bankruptcy
CML Bankruptcy, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced in Chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy.
63205664

I filed for Bk 13 on 12/23/2009 so I still have 3 more years

I filed for Bk 13 on 12/23/2009 so I still have 3 more years to pay to get a discharge. I filled out an application to rent an apartment and was denied because the BK was not discharged yet. They said that they can re-view my case if I get a co-signer. Question: Will this affect the co-signer's credit? My daughter said she could do it but she is planning to buy a house in 2 or 3 months and I don't want her to have problems with her credit because she is my co-signer in the apartment.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CML Bankruptcy replied 2 years ago.

CML Bankruptcy :

Good afternoon (almost). I'm happy to assist you today.

CML Bankruptcy :

So, as I understand your question: Will co-signing for your new apartment have an impact on your daughter's credit, right?

Customer:

Thank you. Happy new year.!

CML Bankruptcy :

Happy new year to you as well. Thanks!

CML Bankruptcy :

Customer:

Yes.

CML Bankruptcy :

OK. So, the answer is: it may or it may not. Here's why: depending on what type of landlord you have (an individual, small (one building) company, or a large company (with major apartment complexes), the landlord may or may not report the lease to the credit bureaus.

CML Bankruptcy :

Your best bet would be to ask the prospective landlord if they report to the credit bureaus.

CML Bankruptcy :

And, even if they do, the lease may not impact your daughter's credit, depending on what the rest of her credit report looks like.

CML Bankruptcy :

And, lastly, if they report to the credit bureaus, her mortgage broker may be able to "discount" such an entry on the credit report (it will show that she's a co-debtor) as just that....a co-debtor.

CML Bankruptcy :

I hope this helps you and ask that you remember to click the "accept" button so I can get proper credit and compensation for my assistance today.

CML Bankruptcy :

If you have any further questions or would like something clarified, please let me know.

CML Bankruptcy :

Thanks and best of luck to you in the coming year!

CML Bankruptcy :

Cara

CML Bankruptcy, Attorney
Experience: Highly experienced in Chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy.