Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My fiancé is being sued for a car wreck 2 years ago. She may

My fiancé is being sued for a car wreck 2 years ago. She may need to claim bankruptcy. if i marry her before the lawsuit is over, can they go after my money also? In addition, would her bankruptcy affect my credit?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Personal Injury litigation attorney here to assist you.

If the injury and lawsuit occurred before the marriage, you would have no financial liability and any judgment or liability would be discharged in her bankruptcy.

Her bankruptcy would not effect your credit, but it may impact your ability to borrow money together in order to borrow money for a house, car, etc.

If she files bankruptcy before you marry, all of her debts would be her individual debts for which you have no responsibility.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what if i marry her before the lawsuit is over?
You still should not have any liability because the incident and claim occurred before the marriage, making it a pre-marital liability and debt if a judgment is rendered against her.