Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am 72. I owe 56 thousand on a student loan. I still work

I am 72. I owe 56 thousand on a student loan. I still work but have had cancer this last year and do not know how long I can keep working. I have had this loan since 1994. It went into default during a divorce and doubled. Is there anything I can do shor of bankruptcy? Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

The short answer is no - bankruptcy is the only real possibility to get rid of student loan debt. However, even if you file bankruptcy, student loans are generally not dischargable. The only exception is if you can prove a financial hardship. This is very hard to prove, but if you can show that your financial situation is dire and you can't afford basic living expenses if you're required to pay, and if you can show that you can't work and that's not going to change in the future (due to health issues), it is possible to discharge all or part of your student loans. Here's a good article you should read: http://bankruptcy.lawyers.com/consumer-bankruptcy/Student-Loans-In-Bankruptcy.html