CML Bankruptcy
CML Bankruptcy, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced in Chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy.
63205664

I am considering bankruptcy and do not have the funds for an

Customer Question

I am considering bankruptcy and do not have the funds for an atty. How does one obtain an attorney if they have less then nothing? Also, how does one determine if they qualify for Chpt. 13 or Chpt 7?

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Leslie Malach
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CML Bankruptcy replied 2 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

Good evening, let's see if I can be of some assistance to you this evening.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

You appear to have 2 questions. The first being how to hire an attorney. The second being how to determine whether to file a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. Therefore, let's deal with these inquiries one at a time.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

As for the hiring of an attorney...I encourage you to contact several attorneys in your area as they will be best equipped to direct you to any local pro bono or legal assistance programs available through your state or local bar association or through the court itself. Some courts have pro se law clerks, who are not permitted to gtive legal advice, but who are available to answer questions about the required bankruptcy forms and such.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

Mathematically, the question regarding how to determine if you qualify for a Chapter 7 versus a Chapter 13 starts with your household income over the six months prior to the filing of the case. However, even if you qualify for one chapter versus another, your objectives and needs will also play a significant part in determining which chapter of bankruptcy, if either, is appropriate for you.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

So, if you'd like to tell me a little bit more about your particular situation, I can provide you with more specific legal information.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

Please let me know. If this answers your questions, and you do not need any further information, please remember to click the "accept" button so I can receive proper credit and compensation for my assistance.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

Thank you and best of luck to you.

JACUSTOMER-5wmx0je1- :

Cara

CML Bankruptcy, Attorney
Experience: Highly experienced in Chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Additionally, you may wish to contact:

Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago, 111 West Jackson Blvd., Third Floor, Chicago, IL 60604. Specifically: David Yen, Supervisory Attorney of the Bankruptcy Project, Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago for information on legal assistance programs in your state.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If a judgement is ordered, can the judgement be included in the bankruptcy?

Thank you