How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31662
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I need to sell my home, and I only owe 30,000 on it and

This answer was rated:

If I need to sell my home, and I only owe 30,000 on it and if it sold for 35,000 would I have to give the difference to my trustee? or could I keep the money? how much is the limitation?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.


What chapter of bankruptcy are you in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a chapter 13, I will be discharged in aug 2012. I have had to leave my job because of disability and want to move somewhere cheaper.



You will have to file a motion for authority to sell the property, which the court should approve. However, the trustee is entitled to 10% of the sale price as his/her fee. That will cut into the sale profits. Also, any money left over will likely be taken by the trustee and used to pay any unsecured creditors you have.


Thus, it is not likely that you'll realize any of the money from the sale.

Roger and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.