lwpat
lwpat,
15417118

I divorced a few years ago and my ex wife got one house and

Customer Question

I divorced a few years ago and my ex wife got one house and i got another. She was supposed to refinance the house after she got on her feet but that never happened and now she has filed bankruptcy. The problem is that her house was in my name. The house we were both on I had refinanced immediately after the divorce. There is no way I lender will let her do a refinance at this point. Do I have any recourse? I was wondering if I could get the house quitdeeded back over to me but then I wonder if there are tax implications? The house is worth only 105K with a 90K mortgage. I am paying the mortgage with the rental money she gets so there has never been a late payment. I believe the bankruptcy says that she agrees to continue paying the mortgage. I just want to see what my options are and if there is anything that I a court could even do considering she can't refinance.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

if I could get the house quitdeeded back over to me but then I wonder if there are tax implications?

There would not be any tax implications. You could go back to the family court and ask the judge to hold her in contempt for not refinancing in accordance with the court order and ask the judge to order her to deed the house to you. That should work but you will probably also need the BK trustee to approve the transaction.