Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a Cell Phone bill that was in service in 2005, It was

I have a Cell Phone bill that was in service in 2005, It was intially reported to collections and it has been going between different collections as a result I have two counts of same amount and same cell phone provider but two collection agencies. I came to know that recently when I have applied for a credit card and the reason was mentioned about the collections acoc**ts. how long this collection account(s) will be on credit profile ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I have a Cell Phone bill that was in service in 2005, It was intially reported to collections and it has been going between different collections as a result I have two counts of same amount and same cell phone provider but two collection agencies. I came to know that recently when I have applied for a credit card and the reason was mentioned about the collections acoc**ts. how long this collection account(s) will be on credit profile ?

Response:
Generally seven years, but see this link from Experian:

http://www.experian.com/small-business/how-long-credit-report.jsp

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so will it be be till 2012 june? should i pay it or should i ignore it ? whats the bes

Response: Ignore it. Also, if you have not paid anything on the debt since 2005, the Statute of Limitations on the debt has probably run depending on your State. If so, the collector can NEVER sue for the debt and in event you are sued, you would use the running of the Statute of Limitations as an Affirmative Defense and use it to ask the Court to dismiss the case.