Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hi, I owe many thousands USD in the credit card that I havent

Hi, I owe many thousands USD in the credit card that I haven't paid since 18 months ago, I, already have a couple of court citation (by the financial institutions) that I did not go. I just get marriage and my new husband doesn't have any responsibility for my previous bad credit. My question is, if I file bankruptcy will my new husband get affected in any way or are there some steeps in order to not involve him? thank you.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

A husband and wife are not required to file a bankruptcy jointly. One party can file without the other.

The effect on the non-filing spouse will be dependent upon whether there are joint debts and/or joint assets. If there are no joint debts and no joint assets, there may be little or no effect on the non-filing spouse. If there are joint debts and/or joint assets, the non-filing spouse would remain liable on the joint debt and the joint assets would need to be included in the filing.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.