Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Since August 15, 2011 I have been in and out of the hospital

Since August 15, 2011 I have been in and out of the hospital five times with the medical condition pancreatitis. I was employed with no insurnace due to recent change in work location and geography. The associated bill amounts have now six digits, and i have lost my position at work due to this ailment. Zero income, some assets like the home I live in. Can they take my house? Is there some other options?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome!

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to provide you with information..

This depends - can you please tell me more about the matter?
  • do you have a mortgage?
  • What State is the property located in?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

Yes, I do have a mortgage, I do have equity in the house that was prior to getting sick in August, going to be used as collateral in a buy in to a small airline where I have been employed. Property is located in Washington State.

Tedd

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
So sorry to hear of this dilemma.

If my answer is not clear to you or does not completely answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You may want to consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and medical bills. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start.

You may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption. However if everything you own is exempt, you should lose nothing but your debts. In Washington State $125,000 in equity in your home is exempt from creditor claims

Here are the exemptions for Washington State:
http://www.bankruptcyaction.com/waexemptions.htm

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is the definition of an exemption? I have more than 125,000 equity in the house. everything I own is paid in full. Would these other items, such as vehicles etc. be exempt? Are they considered my assets that can be taken? Thanks.

Tedd

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the delay. I was not on line when you responded.

exemptions are the items that you may keep in a bankruptcy. Here is a list of the exemptions for Washington State: