FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

im in my 40th month of a chapter 13 31 percent repayment.my

Customer Question

im in my 40th month of a chapter 13 31 percent repayment.my payment is 500 a month for 60 monthes.i was just married and my wife revieved about 8000 in gifts and i have a new york state pension.can i borrow agaist pension and use wifes money to pay off eary?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your question. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Yes. You may borrow against your pension and use your wife's money to pay off the chapter 13 early since you are in the 40th month of your plan.You can contact the trustee for the payoff number.

Here is how it works. Any additional disposable income prior to completing 36 months of the plan must be paid into the plan unless it is a 100% plan. Since you are at 40 months, it appears that you would be able to arrange an early payoff

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would my lawyer have to petion the court?or can he just contact trustee?how long would this take to get the discharge and court petion?im in new york
Your attorney can simply contact the trustee for the payoff number. After you pay off the plan, the trustee would issue your discharge. The process would take approximately 60 days
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do they review your records after payment or just grant discharge?

typically just grant the discharge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DO I HAVE TO PROVE WHERE MONEY CAME FROM OR CAN I JUST PAY OFF MY REMAING MONTHS AMOUNT TO PAY OFF MY 13 EARLY?

Usually the trustee would require an explanation of the source of the money.

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a verbal confrormation or documents and a paper trail of where money came from?

It will depend upon the trustee. If the trustee suspects that you received funds prior to having completed the 36 months of your plan, the trustee has the right to require documentation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im in the 40 th month my new wife and mom going to give me money from mom and wedding gifts.is that enough for trustee?
typically it would be sufficient
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we recieved the wedding money in the 38th month of plan but put in account under only wifes name.is that ok?

That should be fine since the you had already completed the 36 months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so do i need to ask trustee first or can i just send the amount i would of payed over 20 months?
You can contact the trustee for the payoff number.