NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.
And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!
[Name of Debtor], debtor herein, moves for an order converting this case from a case under chapter 7 to a case under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code, and would show the court the following:
1. The debtor filed a voluntary petition for relief under chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Codeon [Date Petition Filed] and the case has not been converted under section 1112, 1307, or 1208 of the Code.
2. Debtor is eligible to be a debtor under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Codein that debtor is an individual with regular income as that term is defined in section 101 of the Code.
3. [Select: A copy of the debtor’s proposed plan dated [Date of Debtor’s Proposed Plan] is attached or The debtor intends to file a chapter 13 plan within such time as provided by the Rules.]
WHEREFORE, debtor prays for an order converting this case from a case under chapter 7 to a case under chapter 13.
Dated: [Date of Signature]
I, [Name of Debtor], the debtor named in the foregoing motion, do hereby swear that the statements contained therein are true according to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief.
Subscribed and sworn to before me on [Date of Signature]
The debtor has filed a motion, in accordance with 11 U.S.C. § 706(a), seeking to convert this case to a case under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. The court has considered the record, and finds that the case has not been converted previously under 11 U.S.C. § 1112or § 1208, or § 1307.
IT IS ORDERED THAT:
1. This chapter 7 case is converted to a case under chapter 13.
2. The chapter 7 trustee within 30 days of the date of this order shall file:
3. The trustee forthwith shall turn over to the debtor all records and property of the estate remaining in the trustee’s custody and control.
4. The trustee or any other party entitled to compensation may within 30 days of the date of this order file an application for compensation and reimbursement of expenses.
5. The debtor within 14 days from the date of this order shall file the statements and schedules required by Bankruptcy Rule 1007(b), if such documents have not already been filed.
6. The debtor within 14 days from the date of this order shall file a chapter 13 plan.
7. [Add Other Provisions as Needed]
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).