FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Hello, I have a few questions concerning credit card accounts.

Hello, I have a few questions concerning credit card accounts. We hired an attorney to file chapter 7 and ended up dismissing our request to file and it was accepted and eventually dismissed. After the dismissal, I checked my credit report and saw that some of the creditors wrote off the debt as bad debt. Two of the credit card people were calling on a regular basis and all of the sudden they stopped a few weeks ago. I got a notice from my credit score monitoring service that said the two credit card companies zero'd out my balance and wrote it off as a bad debt. I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1- Since they charged off the debt, does that clear me of the debt pernamently?

2- Can another company such as a collection company start collections after the debt was charged off by my original debtor?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The charge-off does not clear you from the debt permanently. Another company such as a collection company may start collection for the debt even after the original creditor has written off the debt. The charge-off is a bookkeeping entry by the creditor for tax purposes and does not affect the rights of the creditor to collect.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the credit card company can write off the debt and try and collect the debt afterwards. What is odd about the situation is that the collectors stopped calling just before we got the notification that the debt was charged off. Do you think its likely they will just sell the debt? Can the collectors garnish my wages?
It is less likely that the credit card company will sell the debt once it has been charged off. However it is possible

The collectors cannot garnish your wages until they have first filed suit and obtained a judgment
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.