Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Help! Im being sued for $2200 by a credit card company. My

Customer Question

Help! I'm being sued for $2200 by a credit card company. My court date is 11/7/11. I'm not sure what I can do to prevent them from garnishing my check, I already pay high child support and can't afford anything else. I want to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but I can't get the money together in enough time for the court date and I'm waiting for some paper work to come in, but it won't show up for at least 2 weeks. Can i tell the judge that I'm the process of filing for chapter 7 so I can get an extension or something
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Consider filing a skeleton (bare-bones) chapter 7 bankruptcy yourself. You will have up to 15 days to file the rest of the pages of the petition. Your bankruptcy attorney can file corrected schedules for you at a later date. This will buy you time to save your money to retain your attorney to file your bankruptcy.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.