Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

My boyfriend admitted to me, before we broke up, that he was

My boyfriend admitted to me, before we broke up, that he was going to file for bankruptcy eventually. As time went on, I knew he was getting deeper in debt. We had broken off our relationship, but still talked. Things didn't seem right to me. He bought a new car, but cryed poverty. I did some research about bankrputcy on the computer and found that you should get a car if need be before bankruptcy and he did not have a 2nd job to pay for the car. Eventually I found his case on the internet, (I guess it was for creditors) I went to the bankruptcy clerks office and got a copy of the bankruptcy petition. As I had suspected, he was leaving off assets from his schedule b (diamond ring) and other things. I believe this is fraud or crime of concealment. Because I am not a creditor, just the public (however we had a relationship) and I was going on a hunch, is it okay for me to report him to the bankruptcy trustee? It is a chapter 13.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Since you are not a creditor, you do not have standing to object to your former boyfriend's bankruptcy petition. However you may consider telephoning the trustee and informing the trustee that additional assets exist. The trustee then can determine whether to take additional action.

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So my information will not be taken so seriously, as if I were a creditor? This is a few months after the 341 meeting. Is it too late?
Should I just forget it?
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
The trustee may take your information very seriously. However it will be the decision of the trustee whether to reopen the bankruptcy.