JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

Judgement of $50,000 was awarded against my company and I will

Judgement of $50,000 was awarded against my company and I will be required to purchase a bond to insure payment of the $50,000 in order to appeal. How much will the bond cost and what happens if I loose on appeal and file for bankruptcy. The LLC has limited assets, but I have some amount of personal assets, how well would the llc protect my personal assets in the case of bankruptcy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 2 years ago.
Hi JQCustomer,Your question is in the Bankruptcy Law section. I can answer you Bankruptcy Law questions, but I do not know how much you have to provide as a bond in order to file an appeal (which does not involve Bankroptcy Law.)Do you want me to answer your Bankruptcy Law questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am more interested in the bankruptcy part

Your personal assets cannot be touched for the judgment that is against your company. The judgment against your company can only be used for assets the company owns.

If you file a business Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, you would be able to work with the creditor so that the value of your assets could be paid - usually over time - instead of the judgment amount.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By working with creditors so that the value of the company assets are paid over time instead of the judgement amount, does that mean that the current asset value ( say $10,000 at time of filing) would be all that creditors would be entitled to or would they also be entitled to future earning of the company so that the bankruptcy would only serve to buy time to pay the full amount ? If that is the case, assuming the same 50K judgement and 10K assets, would chapter 7 seem more appropriate. Assuming everything is liquidated at auction, could personal assets be used to purchase back items that would be essential in starting fresh ??

Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 2 years ago.
By working with creditors so that the value of the company assets are paid over time instead of the judgment amount, does that mean that the current asset value ( say $10,000 at time of filing) would be all that creditors would be entitled to or would they also be entitled to future earning of the company so that the bankruptcy would only serve to buy time to pay the full amount ?

Both, with whichever of the two providing a greater dividend to the creditors being required (usually). So, if the companies' assets are worth $10,000 but the company could only afford to pay $5,000 over the life of a Plan, then the court may compel liquidation of the company so the creditors can enjoy $10,000 instead of only $5,000 by allowing the company to continue to operate. But, if the company has $10,000 worth of assets but can afford to repay $20,000 over the Plan life, the court will often let the company stay in business and pay the $20,000 to the creditors. This is called the Best Interest of Creditors Test, meaning whatever is in the best interest of the creditors can be compelled on the debtor.

If that is the case, assuming the same 50K judgment and 10K assets, would chapter 7 seem more appropriate. Assuming everything is liquidated at auction, could personal assets be used to purchase back items that would be essential in starting fresh ??

Chapter 7 may well be more appropriate. In Chapter 7 the company is normally liquidated, then anyone can come in and buy the assets from the Trustee. If that "anyone" is you, you could buy the assets for $10,000, dissolve the bankrupt company, and start a new one with the assets you bought back. But, keep in mind the bankruptcy trustee wants top dollar for the assets, so if someone else offers $15,000, you may have a bidding war to get back the company assets.

The LLC has limited assets, but I have some amount of personal assets, how well would the llc protect my personal assets in the case of bankruptcy.

I am assuming that the judgment against the LLC is exclusively against the LLC and does not also list you as a defendant. If you were a guarantor and also listed as a defendant, then your personal assets are already in the mix. Even if you were not personally liable for the judgment, plaintiffs can attempt to "pierce the corporate veil" to go after the human owners' assets, but this is not easy to do. To pierce the veil, the plaintiff has to show that corporate (incl. LLC's) formality was ignored, corporation and personal assets and liabilities were commingled, etc.

Obviously these are complex issues and the result could be completely different based on one simple fact. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney who can review your case in detail and review documents, etc, to get some advice how to proceed.

Good luck.
Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. JoeLawyer is an attorney but does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) JoeLawyer. All rights reserved.
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996