Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am a cosignser on my daughters student loan. I will continue to pay on this since she is

I am a cosignser on my daughters student loan. I will continue to pay on this since she is out of work. However, if i file bankruptcy and do not include the student loan and continue paying it, will the bankruptcy go on my daughters credit record. It will be a chapter 13. I do not want anything to go on her credit history. Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

The fact that you file bankruptcy will not cause her credit report to indicate that she has filed bankruptcy. However, the particular loan may have a notation that it is in default or that it is involved in bankruptcy. This is so because the co-debtor - your daughter - is protected by the co-debtor stay.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I stated that the loan will not be included in the bankruptcy and will be paid every month. Will there be a notation then on the loan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I stated that the student loan will not be included in the CHAPTER 13 AND WILL BE PAID . Will there be a notation on her credit report then?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

The loan will have to be listed as a debt in your bankruptcy schedules as it is a debt of yours. You can leave it off of your schedules, but if you do, your schedules would be fraudulent.